Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why Jesus IS The Party!!!

                                             Jonathan (L)  and Jordy (R)

In the fall of 2005, my step-son, Jonathan, moved into his dorm room at Marshall University.  After carrying multiple loads of "freshman stuff" up and helping him to get settled in, it was time to say goodbye.  I wanted to say something profound that would stick in his brain for-ev-ah!  I grabbed his Bible and wrote, "Have a great time, but remember, Jesus IS the party!!!  I had never used that phrase or even thought of it until that moment.  But in remembering what I knew as a college freshman myself back in the Fall of 1980 at the University of Kentucky versus what I know now,  that was the best way I could think of to articulate what I wanted him to know from me.  I gave him a phrase that just boiled it all down.  Granted it took me many years to come to this conclusion, I had higher hopes that he would not flounder in the desert for as many years as I had before I came around.  The Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years.  I suppose that is the average time it takes for Christians to come to their senses!!  Fast forward six years, Jonathan, like I had, has done some serious false partying.  But I can honestly say today that he is way ahead of where I was at his age and is earnestly seeking the LORD.  PTL!!

No comments: